Friday, March 29, 2019

March 29 Daily Flight Summary


looking SE towards Jumbo from the new OP


Official Counter         

Adam Richardson

Observers       

None

Weather         


Trace amount of snow overnight last night.  It was snowing lightly at the beginning of the count and this continued off and on until 11:30. High temperature of 7C today at 14:30 with primarily N-NW winds 5-16kph gusting as high as 22kph regularly.  Low clouds during the majority of the count made for excellent skies to spot raptor silhouettes against.  At the start of the count visibility was limited to 2km on both the east and west sides of the OP, but by the afternoon the clouds had lifted and begun to broke up which afforded long views in either direction.  It started to snow lightly during the last hour of the count.  The temperatures at this new OP as well as winds may be markedly different than where I had been counting from prior to today.  I am about 250ft higher in elevation so the wind is able to hit the bluff with more force.  I am also directly over the rock escarpment so the ambient temperatures may be a little warmer than down along the Smith River which still is covered in snow.  As of today, 24cm of snow persists in the campground with as little as 10cm or less where I have been measuring from daily.  The snow that had fallen yesterday began to melt quite a bit and it had a lot of water content in it as the entire campground has its roads covered in slushy snow and standing water.

looking farther to the south up the Smith River corridor

Raptor Notes 

The new OP affords views that are frequently wing on with migrating raptors both coming off of Jumbo and the hills far to the SW of the OP.  Now directly in front of the OP is a small forested knob that I have seen raptors kettle off of.  First two migrants of the day adult light-morphed RTHA climbed effortlessly and headed N into the Smith River Canyon.  After this a steady trickle of GOEA came through on a variety of flight lines with seven coming through in the 15:00-16:00 hour.  I now need to look at better topographic maps of the area to determine what is going on with the birds that come off of Jumbo moving west to disappear behind this forested knob never to return again above horizon.  I can tell these aren’t residents as I am able to look back at Jumbo and see the residents, or the age of bird isn’t what I have noticed so far.  A lone immature NOGO came through on a flight path entirely of its own making, basically the reverse of the one male NOHA that passed in the afternoon.  Seeing these birds take this flight path made me aware of how a near owl in the bluff in front of me would definitely help with smaller forest raptor detections. 

Residents were busy and they kept me busy by forcing me to acquaint myself to their behavior from my new perspective on the bluff.  BAEA S1 and adult birds stream out of the canyon flying N to S more frequently.  An adult dark-morphed RTHA has set up a territory on Jumbo and takes swipes at all raptors both resident and migrant.  Adult GOEA were copulating again today, but I believe this to be the other pair of adults that nest in the canyon to the NW of the OP.  These birds were seen in the top of a snag on the far west side of the west bluff of the Smith River upstream of the OP.  

looking north into the Smith River Canyon.  Songster Butte in the distance.  The near bluff on the left side of the photo is one place I see kettles of raptors forming off of and a resident GOEA pair frequently perch on the escarpment.


It appears the new OP will be the location I will count from for the remainder of this seasons count.  In general, it seemed like I didn’t have to scan as hard to detect birds.  It is still time consuming to track migrants vs. residents as there may now be several species of raptors in a kettle anywhere on the horizon and the vast majority of them may still be resident.  When a migrant comes through from this vantage point it is quite obvious as I can almost feel the glide of a migrant GOEA from miles away coming towards me as it is how migrants come through the Bridger Mountains.  I am very fortunate that the family that owns the property I am now counting from made it available to me on a temporary basis.  It may help me learn a lot more over these next few weeks. 

Non-raptor Notes

NOPI have arrived to the Johnston Pasture.  I also have a view of a temporary wetland habitat that I didn’t before which allows me to scope the Smith River upstream of the OP for waterbirds.  The TOSO that has been on territory since I have arrived came by the new OP to see what the developments on the butte were.  The bluff amplifies its sweet song.

Visitors           

None

some sun peaking through the clouds - looking past Jumbo up the Sheep Creek drainage


Next Day Forecast

Saturday

Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 48. South wind around 6 mph.

Saturday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 16. West wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment